Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man Puddin' Man is offline

Default Wiring overkill?

Just my 2 centavos worth, but ...

If you need 12/2 it's not overkill. If you don't, it is,
b/c 12/2 is harder to work with, costs more, and
could cause more trouble if you have a short.

The real issue for po' me would be circuit design.
If one designs a circuit with reasonable expectation
that it'll draw max amps of 15 in any normal usage, then
14/2 is indicated. If max 20 a. then 12/2.

And if circuit design hasn't been fully considered,
it's time to bone up on it.

I realize that there may be a circuit or 2 in some
situations where it's difficult to predict usage,
amp draws, etc. Fudge factor could be called for.
To wire *everything* well above expected usage
(i.e. nickel/dime light circuits) is quite another thing.

Cheers,
Puddin'

On 2 Oct 2006 18:31:52 -0700, "jimbob" wrote:

I have a very small house and have begun wiring rooms with 12/2 with 20
amp breakers. I realize this is overkill especially for overhead
lighting (of which I have only 2 lights). But the increased cost
doesn't bother me and it makes my circuits and wiring job much simpler.

Also most of the lights and switches are rated for 15 amps with the
exception of outlets which actually need to support appliances
requiring a 20 amp circuit. The overhead lighting shares the circuits
with other lights and outlets.

Are there any problems wiring this way with regard to safety or code
violations?

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot