Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Shepherd crook

Tue, Oct 3, 2006, 1:20pm (EDT-1) (Swingman) doth sayeth
snip Way too much trouble ... wait til dark,snip

Nah, especially if you want chicken for today's supper. A chicken
will let you get to about 2-3 feet before they start getting real antsy.
Walk slow, use a piece of wire about 3 foot long, and real easy to hook
one around a leg. Then no prob to grab it up. You can do the stump and
hatchet route, or just grab 'em by the neck and crank. Chicken &
dumplin's for supper. Mmmm mmmm good. I can remember gatherings at my
greadgrandparents where we have maybe a dozen chickens caught that way,
then an assembly line plucking and cleaning them.

Of course, if you want to be sporting about it you could always
bait a hook with a bit of corn or something, and use a rod nd reel.
That's usually best if you're poaching a neighbor's chickens tho - they
don't squawk with their neck stretched out. LOL I heard of a guy who
would do that out of his basement window, with chickens in his yard from
next door. The neighbor never did figure out what was happening with
his chickens.

JOAT
It's not hard, if you get your mind right.
- Granny Weatherwax