Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] fredfighter@spamcop.net is offline

Default OT Completely!!! Spanish? Que?

Stoutman wrote:
I feel sorry for you.

You obviously don't understand the value of being bilingual.

Lew

I totally see the value in being bilingual! I wish I spoke 10 languages,
that would be awesome.

You are missing my point. He is FOUR. Shouldn't he learn English first?

Instead of teaching him two new Spanish words per day, I would rather 'they'
teach ONE new English word!!

You ask, "Shouldn't he learn English first?"

Do you think that learning a little Spanish interferes with learning
English?
I don't think so, but certainly don't see any reason why you shouldn't
look into it.

I am pretty sure that it has been well-established that the older a
person is when they begin to learn a second language the less
well they learn it. Functional MRIs show a neurological basis
for this.

Learning languages sequentially is a poor way to learn them.
I've been learnign English for half a century and am still learning
now.

There is a learning disability that is associated with changing
one's primary language at a certain age. But that depends on
abandoning one and picking up another, not on being bilingual,
so that is not somethign to worry about here. My ex was
diagnosed with that when she switched back to English from
Vietnamese, but it didn't last.

I suspect he is learning English faster than he is Spanish. Does
he speak English as well as or better than other four year olds?

Heck, this is an opportunity for you to learn Spanish. I bet
he'd get a blast from teaching you. That's the way a lot of
immigrants learned English, they sent their kids to school
and had their kids teach them when they got home.

There are countries, like Switzerland, that have multiple official
languages. AFAIK, their people are not any less articulate than
Americans.

What is really good here, is knowing that you care and are
involved in his education. Good for you/

--

FF