Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] strikerspam@iinet.com is offline

Default Shepherd crook

Well, I think it would take a bit of experimentation as far as the
steam bending goes.

Might I suggest you make a crook that you can change out the heads on?
Say something that's double pinned or a good screw thread.

I think in all cases with the steam bending they will open up
eventually because of the stress you're placing on the bend. Snagging
a goat weighing in anywhere from 8 to say 50 lbs. (I'm guessing) will
do that.

A glue-laminated crook might hold up just as long but I think when it
gives up it might give up with a snap rather than just opening a bit.

Another thought would be asking if you had looked into re-enforcing a
crook with a fiberglass and resin wrap?

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 11:03:49 -0400, "Terrence J Smith"
wrote:

Guys:
This maybe off topic, but I need to make a better shepherds crook. Ones I
have purchased are worthless after about a year as the 'crook' opens up and
makes it impossible to catch a goat (I raise meat goats).
The purchased variety are made of oak and seem to be steam bent.
My thoughts a
- Steam bend one myself. Would using green wood, maybe ash, make the bend
more permanent?
- Make the bend with thin strips and epoxy (a laminate).