Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Remove grout from ceramic tile

Actually, the best item you used was the nylon scrub pad. I find these are
great for safely cleaning grout film off new tiles as well as soap scum and
other films that coat tiles.

"michelle" wrote in message
oups.com...
I installed ceramic tile on my basement floor. I installed a light
colored textured tile and a light colored sanded grout. I thought all
the grout was cleaned from the tile so I sealed it. After the sealant
dried there were patches all over the tile of dried grout. It was a
mess! I searched on the internet for a way to remove the grout and the
sealant. All I kept seeing was to use muratic acid. Then I saw a post
from someone saying to use a cup of sugar dissolved in a gallon of warm
water. As weird as it sounded, I tried it. Everything came off the
tile and my floor looks like it was just installed when actually the
floor stayed looking terrible for over a year until I used the sugar
and the water. I poured the solution on the floor and let it sit for
about an hour then, using a nylon scrub pad, I scrubbed the floor. I
just want to say Thank You! to whoever posted this alternative to the
acid.