r.galvin

Default Electrical book recommendations

- Service and equipotential bonding,

Well the gas pipe on 'our side' is bonded to the main earthing terminal
right next to it but its hard to tell whether the water main is since all
but the stopcock is boxed in. There is no equipotential bonding in the
kitchen or in the bathroom so I'm planning to correct all this.

- Getting wiring, wiring accessories and devices correct for the
bathroom to account for the zones

Some of the bathroom has been recently rewired by a 'professional'
before we bougth the house but I am very surprised they didn't earth
all the plumbing. Doh!

- Correct use of circuits and placement of their circuit breakers
relative to RCDs

The lowest rated MCBs furthest away from the isolation switch/RCD,
correct rating for the cabling, ring mains and radials under RCD protection,
but not the lighting since the consumer unit is tucked away under the
stairs.
I don't want to be flailing about in the dark if it trips.

All of this assumes that you know the basics of the correct type of
cable for given situations, how to organise ring and radial circuits
and obvious stuff like green/yellow sleeving for earths.

Indeed, in fact it was interesting to note when I asked a couple of local
electricians to pop round and basically tout for any work that needed
doing before we bought (as a kind of poor man's electrical survey if you
will, but mainly to confirm what I had already ascertained) that one of
the indications to them that previous work was probably DIY was the
lack of rubber grommets in the mounting box holes.

If you are comfortable with those then I think that Whitfield's book
will give you pretty much everything else. It is not a step by step
guide, but I am not sure that comprehensive step by step guides exist

Thanks I think that pretty much confirms what I thought.

Cheerio

Ross