Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Shepherd crook

Tue, Oct 3, 2006, 11:03am (Terrence*J*Smith) the
goat boy sayeth:
This maybe off topic, but I need to make a better shepherds crook.
snip to catch a goat snip Make the bend with thin strips and epoxy
(a laminate)

Personally my choice for catching a goat would probably be just to
shoot it. However. If you want to make your own, out of wood, that
would last, I'd say laminate one.

When I was a kid, for catching chickens we'd use a piece of stiff
wire with a "crook" bent into one end, then snag a leg. The same thing,
but using a stiffer wire, or a stiff wire in the end of a wood pole,
worked for pigs too, snag 'em by a hind leg. Alternately, for pigs,
we'd just grab a hind leg - then hand on ttight. If by chance you want
the pig to back up you put a bucket over its head. If we weren't real
serious about catching pigs we'd sometimes try lassooing them.

JOAT
It's not hard, if you get your mind right.
- Granny Weatherwax