Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default double glazed window markup

Folks,
I got some quotes for a PVCu double glazed window, 900mm wide, 1350mm
high, upper 350mm section arched, lower 1000mm section split
vertically with opening light on one side. Quotes were minimum 800 quid
(several over 1000 - but those included fitting). Several of them said
"oh, an arched window, suck through teeth, that'll be expensive,
etc."
So I thought take out the middle man. A PVCu frame to my spec, good
fittings etc, 162+VAT, glass around 80quid+VAT. So I save hundreds.
Thats a massive markup for the window "assemblers" - just putting the
glass in is all they do.
I think I'll always order frame/glass separate in the future -
sometimes you even have to take out the glass to fit it ! How mad is
that ?
Simon.