Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

Default Hunter Ceiing Fan Junk

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 17:26:42 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"The Reverend Natural Light" wrote in message
roups.com...

mstrspy wrote:
I recently purchased the Hunter Ceiling Fan model that flush mounts to
the ceiling. What a piece of junk. There was absolutely no way that
you could secure the motor such that it wouldn't rock in the mount.
Just hangs in a slot.
I returned it to Home deopt and got a Hampton Bay. The Hamton Bay was
(1) Less Money than the Hunter
(2) Easier to install
(3) Looks better
(4) Secure and doesn't rock or sway

I am really dissapointed in Hunter Fans. I have one in my porch that I
installed 15 years ago and it is great. Aparently Hunter must have a
design engineer who is looking to cut corners to save money. They will
go out of business if they keep this up.

I've had exactly the opposite experience. I installed two Hunter fans
that worked great and now three Hampton Bay fans that suck. The
Hampton Bay fans will not balance and although they were easier to
install, the click-in blades were badly scratched by the install
process. The third time, I used my bench grinder to polish the top
sides of the blade holders so it wouldn't scratch the fake wood grain.
After careful balancing and leveling the blades vertically, they will
now work on medium speed but forget high speed. Total crap.

-rev

I often wonder if some manufacturers contract work out to a different
Chinese factory every 3 or 11 months, depending on who comes up with the
lowest bid. It's nauseating to think of other reasons for the
inconsistencies described by different people in this discussion.

My new Hunter was made by the company that puts lots of humm in them.

Terrible but not worth taking down and replacing.