Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question on Finishing a Basement

"Rob" wrote in message
I would like to make a den in my currently unfinished basement and I have
two issues I need to resolve in order to accomplish this:

1) The clearance on the ceiling in the basement now is fine unfinished,
but putting in a regular drop ceiling requires 4 inches as I recall, and
I'd like to not take up that much of the overhead space. Is there any
other drop ceiling technology out there that requires less space? If not,
is a drywall ceiling feasible in a basement? I am reluctant to put one in
because having access to the piping and wiring above is important. Any
thoughts?

2) The current steps to the basement are somewhat steep and face the back
wall of the basement. I would prefer the stair itself to turn 180 degrees
so that when entering the new basement den, you enter right into the room
instead of having to do a turnaround at the bottom of the stair. I have
lived in old homes before which had a "fan" type of stair (each step is
about an inch wide on one side, and each step "fans out" to be full width
on the other edge next to the outer wall). Would that be something I could
easily get built by a contractor/carpenter nowadays, or not? (I'm just not
sure if such stairs are commonly built today....

1) The ceiling is easy- Google for 'zero clearance' ceiling panels. You
attach runners across the joists, and the panels flex and snap into place. I
have even seen people just put up (fireproof) black fabric, or just shoot
the ceiling space with matte black paint, to give a finished 'studio' look.
Drywall is also an option, but you want to stare real hard at whatever you
are covering, and put access panels where needed.

2) The stairs are harder. A fan-shape or spiral stair section is possible,
and available from companies that sell custom-order. However, it is
expensive. Most people just put in a landing to turn the stairs. Headroom is
the killer- you need 6 1/2 feet or so between the steps and the ceiling
directly above to avoid making people duck, even if they won't actually bump
their heads. Changing stairs is easy, changing the shape of the stairwell
hole through the floor above is much harder. A low landing, even just a step
or two off the basement floor, may be enough to give the effect you want, if
you have the headroom. Just take the treads off the bottom 2 steps, frame
over to the opposite wall, and reuse the treads you removed on the new steps
you build leading up to it.

3) Although code only requires egress windows in sleeping rooms, in practice
most people find basement offices claustrophobic. You may not notice,
because you built it, but when it comes time to sell, buyers will find a
daylight room much more appealing. I'd recommend at least costing out what
it would take to add or enlarge a window opening, and build a deep window
box so the room gets some daylight. The only expensive part will be cutting
the hole in the wall- digging the well and laying up a box is something you
can probably do yourself. (Of course, this idea is a non-starter if the
corner you are using is under the patio or garage or something)

aem sends...