Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default t&g osb: how to get it to connect?

Darryl wrote:
I'm installing 1 3/4 t&g osb for a basment floor on 2x4 sleepers. This
is my first subfloor project.

How do I get the tongue of one 4x8 sheet to mesh with the groove in the
adjoining one? Pushing doesn't seem to do it (although I found out
that construction glue is really, really sticky), and hammering just
smashes the hammered side. Kicking it didn't work.

I'm wishing for something like a come-along that would PULL the two
sheets together, but I have no idea if such a thing exists.

I'm doing this myself, so I'm wondering if the normal method is to have
several beefy guys just lean into each sheet to make it snap in. If
so, the damn book neglected to mention that in the "needed tools" list!

Maybe use a hydraulic jack to push, & a 6' 2x4 along the edge?

The usual method is to use a scrap piece of the T&G edge. mate it to
the big sheet then pound on the the scrap. You can do the same thing
by scabbing something to the sleepers back a bit and then prying
againsst the t&g scrap. It helps to have a helper who can step on the
edge you are trying to mate to make the t meet the g right.

Harry K

Harry K