Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] bsa441@gmail.com is offline

Default Trying to build cheap

wrote:
I'm interested in making the "Classic Oak Plant Stand" from Woodsmith
#147, but looking over the materials it's going to cost me $50 just for
the legs.

Would I be foolish to glue up leg blanks from doubled-up 3/4" select
pine and stain it something respectible? Is the line down the leg
going to be very noticeable? Any advice on making this stand for less
money?

Mike

I have successfully used carefully-selected pallet wood for furniture
projects. If you look around you can find planks that are thick enough
to flatten and glue together for leg blanks, and sometimes the thicker
framing members of the pallets are usable, too. I have found tropical
hardwood, as well as lots and lots of oak pallets. I like the "rustic"
used wood look so the nail holes don't usually bother me, but look
around and you may be able to find unmarred lengths suitable for
planter stand legs.

There is a local recreational equipment store that has some store
display furniture that is made of rough-sawn wood similar to pallet
wood, lightly sanded to make it smooth, but still retaining the saw
marks, then covered with a durable finish (probably poly). Looks real
good, and I'm thinking of making some simple furniture that style for
my office.