Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Default Trying to build cheap

boorite wrote:
And if you want
to work in pine, which in my opinion is perfectly respectable stuff,
you can start with a carefully-selected 2x4 as a blank and dimension it
and finish it, and believe it or not, it can look very good. Why the
hell not?

Because it isn't properly dried for furniture-quality projects, so it
may not be good looking for very long?

"Dry" in the pine and hardwood sections are not used in the same context
as "Dry" in the framing lumber section of the same supplier.

That said, I've used 2x's that were stored inside for a long time to
make nice looking shop items, once the boards were jointed and planed.
This goes double for very clear, vertical grain fir boards. Pulling it
off the construction lumber rack, taking it home, and using for
something that requires precision dimensioning, is asking for trouble.