Posted to rec.woodworking
boorite boorite is offline

Default Trying to build cheap

wrote:
Phisherman wrote:
Where are you getting your wood prices? I made a fern stand from
maple and it looks great.

The only places I know to get wood are Home Depot and Rockler. HD only
carries 3/4" stock. Rockler carries larger, but the price per inch
added up to $$ quickly.

Maple is nice. And I think I shouldn't even be trying to make the
stand out of pine or poplar, since that style (mission?...craftsman?)
is typically oak.

I bought a nice poplar board at HD the other day for around $12 that
I'm going to make a scale-down version of the stand with (i.e. 3/4"
square legs instead of 1-1/4") and see what it looks like and how
sturdy it is.

HD sells S4S 2x2s in oak and poplar. They're a little pricy, but not
very, considering S4S.

Yeah, you can glue up two 1x2s to make a 2x2. Why not? And if you want
to work in pine, which in my opinion is perfectly respectable stuff,
you can start with a carefully-selected 2x4 as a blank and dimension it
and finish it, and believe it or not, it can look very good. Why the
hell not?

Poplar can be fun if you don't approach it wishing it were something
else. SWMBO picks through stacks of it to find the most bizzarre purple
and green pieces and wigged-out grain. Stain it natural, and it's most
interesting.