Posted to rec.woodworking
gw gw is offline

Default Trying to build cheap

wrote in message
ups.com...
Phisherman wrote:
Where are you getting your wood prices? I made a fern stand from
maple and it looks great.

The only places I know to get wood are Home Depot and Rockler. HD only
carries 3/4" stock. Rockler carries larger, but the price per inch
added up to $$ quickly.

Maple is nice. And I think I shouldn't even be trying to make the
stand out of pine or poplar, since that style (mission?...craftsman?)
is typically oak.

I bought a nice poplar board at HD the other day for around $12 that
I'm going to make a scale-down version of the stand with (i.e. 3/4"
square legs instead of 1-1/4") and see what it looks like and how
sturdy it is.

Mike

Find a hardwood lumberyard. The prices at Rockler and HD border on criminal.

I take that back. The pricing at HD *is* criminal - even for pine. And the
pine you get is crap.