Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiring split load CU

Staffbull wrote:
On wiring the split load CU, will it be OK to put both the cooker and
hob onto the RCD'd busbar? or should they go onto the non RCD side?
I was thinking of putting both ring mains on the RCD and the
cooker/hob, and putting both lighting ccts on the non RCD side so I'm
not plunged into darkness if there is a fault elsewhere !!

CU is 100A, 80A rcd

cheers

I think the best compromise is a 100mA RCD for everything, with 30mA RCD
or RCBO for where there is a real danger.

In practice, although I haven't gotten to the 30mA RCBO for outside
sockets, I now have almost zero nuisance tripping on a BIG house, and
yet whenever there has been a genuine fault, the RCD has tripped.

(extension cable in the rain outside. 2Kohm short between washing
machine motor coil and earth)

You have to make your mind up whether its better to be left in the dark
everytime there is a power surge or a big motor cuts in, or whether you
are prepared to risk being fried by 100mA .

Even 30mA will kill you if you are unlucky.

But two sweaty hands measures at about 3k, which is like 80mA on a 250v
circuit.