Too_Many_Tools

Default The IDEAL Machinery Moving Trailer?

Fitch,

It sounds like you are moving your shop.

Care to give us an idea as to how many machines and what the total
weight including tooling will be for the move?

I ask because when in the past I added up the weight of moving my
shop, it quickly totaled up into the many tons. I was shocked
especially in how much weight I had in miscellaneous tooling.

I would also be interested in how you are packing your tools and
tooling for the trip. Many of the tool accessories used in a HSMer
shop are difficult to pack in conventional terms without building a
special crate for them. One only needs to look at the problems with
Ebay purchases being mispackaged to see the results.

So any moving hints? I would appreciate your advice for my next move
in the future.

TMT

Fitch R. Williams wrote in message . ..
(Dave Ficken) wrote:

Since the original post was about HSM trailers, another thing I like
about wood decks is that you can drill through the deck and use
carriage bolts from underneath to secure machines.

Yup. That works. I used all thread when I hauled the Lagun from AZ
to CA simply because I had no idea how long the bolt would have to be
before I got to where the mill was. A supply of all thread, box of
nuts and washers, and a sawzall (or the portable metal saw of your
choice) works just fine.

I'm planning to haul both mills and lathes on a wood deck flat bed
from CA to PA. Mill bases bolted down, tops chained. The lathe
benches, welded up square steel tube assemblies, will also be bolted
to the trailer using the seismic restraint feet that are welded to
them.

I'll use my trailer tongue scales to get them positioned for the
proper tongue load. The trailer has tie down loops and chain pockets
welded all over it. Drop a chain over the side, there is a place to
attach it right there. I have one on each side channel centered the
long way between the tandem axles (I always seem to need to hook a
chain there).

Fitch