Posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,sci.bio.entomology.misc,alt.home.repair,sci.agriculture,rec.gardens
[email protected] beans@smithfarms.com is offline

Default What insect is this?

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 21:09:45 -0700, "OscartheGrouch"
wrote:

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message

http://www.geocities.com/condor_222/dsc_0304_2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/condor_222/dsc_0304_2.jpg

Some interesting replies. It is in the order Hemiptera. It's not a

Reduviid,
or assasin bug. While may Coreids do give off odors when handled,

there is a
completely different family of Henipterans called Pentatomidae, the

stink
bugs. Anyway look at the hind legs. A typical trait of many in the

family
Coreide the dilation of the hind tibia, hence the common name Leaf

Footed
Bugs. I believe I see this trait in your photo. The light is not so

great
but I believe I see the specimen well enough to call it Leptoglossus
occidentalis or Leptoglossus clypealis, probably occidentalis. My

$0.02.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/2696
http://bugguide.net/node/view/43201/bgpage

My husband wanted to be an entomologist but opted for Trop[cal Ag
degree instead; so he could sell his knowledge for more $.

We love bugs.

He calls it an Assasin Bug. They prey on other insects as he
rememebers from 40 years ago. They are not harmful. Probably waiting
for another insect to come and to nab it.

aloha,
Beans
--smithfarms.com
farmers of pure kona