Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Riddle me this hangers of doors - done

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks all for the replies. It wasn't intended to be an exercise in how
to use a level. I was just interested in why if two measurements were
reading level the gap would be changing. I think the most obvious reason
is because the door is not perfectly square.

wrote in message
In article ,
Eigenvector wrote:
This doesn't compute.

I'm trying to put a door sweep on my door that goes to the garage and the
crack between it and the floor is not uniform. It appears when the the
door
is closed that the gap is about 1/2" by the hinges and about 1/4" by the
door knob. So I toss a level on the floor and see that it is indeed
level.
So I put a level on the top of the door, and it is level. If the door,
the
floor are both level then why is the crack wider on one end?

The bottom of the door is not necessary level just because the top is,
i.e., the bottom of the door is not parrallel to the top.

If the floor in the vicinity of the door is truly level, and the
bottom of the door is truly level in the closed position, but the
gap changes as the door swings, then the door is not plumb.

At any rate, there are floor sweeps that will accomodate a 1/4"
difference without trouble.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.
Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -

The door is not square and/or your measurements were not precise enough to
detect the difference in level. If you turned the level end-for-end the
level itself may be inaccurate.

Don Young