Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Deke Deke is offline

Default How to Clean Audio Cassette Heads

"Farmer Bill" wrote in message

Thanks, I will try the lighter fluid first, then Brasso.

Follow-up question:
In the middle of the head there's a kind of cross-hatching, which I
guess is where the head reads the tape. Do I need to be particularly
careful when cleaning this part of the head? In contrast, the sides of
the head are shiny and smooth (if they were clean), and seem less
susceptible to damage from cleaning. I'm still not clear on why the
tape plays fine in one direction, and sounds muted in the other
direction. Are there actually 2 areas on the tape head, one for each
direction? If so I guess they would be positioned one on top of the
other.

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my original
question. What a great forum, and great group of people, to share
their expertise.

Bill

Try this after you get the heads as clean as you can. Take a sharpened #2
pencil and gently run the lead point vertically down the face of the head.
If there is a groove that is noticeable, (you'll feel it when the pencil
lead hits it) the head may be worn past the point of giving you good sound
in both directions. Theres several different methods of auto reverse
mechanics. Not knowing the make and model, its had to say why it works in
one direction and is muffled in the other.
And it could be out of alignment, but its more likely either dirty, or worn.
Dont go tweaking anything untill you have exhausted all other posibilities.
Get it clean first, then go from there. And forget about the brasso. Not
good, IMHO.

Deke