Posted to rec.woodworking
Wilson Wilson is offline

Default Craftsman router

I have a little metal router and circular saw from about 1970.
Both are excellent, but the brand has slipped since.
I also have iron topped TS from the mid 70s and both are very straight, with
poor fences.
One is crosscut only and never has the fence on. The other is rip only and
I make the fence work OK by pushing it up against the rail before clamping
down. Works fine. Both have dead straight arbors and the adjustments work
OK. But I'll admit I'm getting tempted by the Sawstop. Does anyone here
have one?
Wilson
"keith_nuttle" wrote in message
. net...
My 38 year old Craftsman router (sometimes referred to as Crapsman on this
newsgroup) fail yesterday. When I used it last week and it worked fine.
Yesterday when I turned it on it did not work. I thought of looking for
some one to fix it, but then I say my volt/ohm meter on the shelf. What
would it hurt. One thing lead to another, and by the time it was in
pieces I found the switch was the culprit. A trip to Lowes, a $5 switch,
and now the router will last another 38 years. At least it will be working
when my grandson inherits it.