Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Riddle me this hangers of doors

Oren,

I re-read your post. Are you asking how there can be a
discrepancy when you read "level" both top and bottom?

A spirit level is not a very accurate instrument and is very
subject to the person reading it. Nothing irritates me more than
to have someone report that "its between the lines". When you
spend the money for a better level like Crick or Stabila, you are
still subject to operator error. The old Dumpy builder's level
had huge long vials on them that really showed minute changes. It
is important when using your level in reference to your door that
you keep the level turned the same direction at both top and
bottom. Your door is probably 3' wide. What size level did you
use? A 9" torpedo level would be grossly inadequate for the job.
A good 4' level would be fairly accurate, but will require quite
an accurate eye to detect an 1/8" variation. A good level and a
good carpenter should be able to do it well. YMMV.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 21:06:31 GMT, "dadiOH"

wrote:

Eigenvector wrote:

It's not like I'm killing myself here, but something doesn't
add
up. If the frame is out of true, entirely possible, it still
wouldn't matter, the door is still level - at least on three
sides.

No, just one according to you.

Try measuring the door...height at both sides, width at top and
bottom.

Closely equals Square....
--
Oren

"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it
happens constantly."