Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lionel Lionel is offline

Default Car mirror heater pad

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 00:19:37 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
opined:

In article ,
Tony Marsillo wrote:
If you took a few power resistors and epoxyed them to the back of the
mirror that might work. I don't think they would need to disipate much
to melt ice in the winter.

Space is a problem. The glass is glued to a thin frame which clips onto
the motor assembly. There is some space in the centre of the mirror, but
some form of thin heating mat as original would be best.

Surface mount resistors make good, flat heating elements. (I've seen
them used that way in one of those mains-powered slow release air
freshener gizmos.)

PS: Whatever method you use, don't forget that the silver coating on
the mirror is conductive, & most mirrors only only have a thin coat of
paint protecting it, so you'll need to insulate anything powered that
presses agains the mirrors.