Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Trying to build cheap

On 30 Sep 2006 10:06:51 -0700, wrote:

I'm interested in making the "Classic Oak Plant Stand" from Woodsmith
#147, but looking over the materials it's going to cost me $50 just for
the legs.

Would I be foolish to glue up leg blanks from doubled-up 3/4" select
pine and stain it something respectible? Is the line down the leg
going to be very noticeable? Any advice on making this stand for less
money?

Mike

Where are you getting your wood prices? I made a fern stand from
maple and it looks great. You can use just about any wood, although a
hardwood is better than a softwood. Sometimes your wood supplier will
have an excess of a specific wood and cut the price down to move it.
Oak is not particularly in demand right now, but supplies vary
depending on your location and time of year.