Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y
Duncan Duncan is offline

Default Overcharging builders advice

The amount the builders are asking for is less than the £5000 small
claims limit, so I'd expect they'd pursue that route. Unless they decide
to try and frighten me into paying...

Thankfully, I did take a plenty of pictures of everything before and
after the new builders started work.

Thanks,
-Duncan

Andy Hall wrote:
Your next move should be to obtain two quotes for the remainder of the
work including remedying anything the first didn't do.

You could have asked for quotes for the complete job, but it's probably
too late for that and in any case another builder would probably figure
out what the issue is.

Then your financial position becomes the total that the original builder
first quoted less the quote for remedies and completion from the other.

If you haven't paid them the net of that, then you should.

After doing so, is the total sum that the first builder believes he is
owed less than £5000?

If so, then he would pursue you through the small claims procedure, and
definitely I would let him attempt that.

Make sure that any communications are made in writing and send them by
Special Delivery (£4 at the post office). This gives traceability if
you need it.

Finally, take copious photographs of any bodges, incomplete work and
anything not completed to perfection.