Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y
Duncan Duncan is offline

Default Overcharging builders advice

Actually, the work remaining was outside and needed doing before the
weather got bad. I found another builder to do the work, but he was a
small 2 man outfit, and did the work pretty cheaply. Also, the work
needed was changed after the original estimate, so the work he did
didn't have matched the original quote. But I do have an old quote from
a few years ago for exactly the work as stated and by a comparable
building company. Another quote would have been handy, but the works
done now, so I guess it's too late...

There's some internal work done by the original builders that's not
great, but it's not something that'll be too hard to fix. I'm not too
bothered about extra cost there.

It's possible that the neighbours would state in court the time wasting
of the builders, and they're a retired electrician on one side and an
engineer on the other. But I don't think that will effect things unless
the builders try to justify their costs based on time spent.

Thanks,
-Duncan

Steve Robinson wrote:
When obtaining the other quotes make sure that you use builders of a
similar size if possible to get reasonable comparisons

no point going to court with a quote from a one man band whos not vat
registered when the company you originally employed may have a large
workforce and will be registered for vat two totally different animals
with two totally different cost structures .

It may help to get a report from a surveyor and an estimation as to the
likeley costs you will pay , a reasonable guide to the cost for works
is produced by hutchins in the form of price schedules if you dont want
to go the surveyour route

As a rough guide the average charge out per day for a self employed
tradesman will be around £120 to £160 per day plus vat , small to
meduim sized companies add around 20% to the above costs , london add
50% minimum

Average working week will be 38 hours , this may well include
travelling time from the yard and collection of materials

Would your neigbours be prepared to go to court and state that the
builders were sitting around all day not working and are the neigbours
sufficiently qualified within the building field to make those
judgements