Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default kitchen lighting: track system with pendant lighting

Owain wrote:
wrote:

I am going to renovate our kitchen and have been looking into lighting.
It seems that recessed spotlights are popular nowadays, but have come
under criticism for being too directional to give uniform illumination
to the room. Also I'm a bit loathe to tear up the floor above the
kitchen in order to install the wiring for the spots. I'm looking for a
way to give reasonably uniform illumination to the kitchen. I'm
thinking of installing a system where the lights are mounted on a track
or steel cables. Most of these systems involve spot-lights, which comes
back to the problem of non-uniform illumination. However, I have come a
track system that has pendant lighting which is probably less
directional than spots:
http://www.e-lights.co.uk/track/html...linux/roba.htm
Has anyone reading this used this product and has any comments? Any
alternative ideas?

Offline so haven't looked at that URL, but any "professional" mains
track system (as used in shops) will have a flex adapter as shops need
to be able to attach illuminated display cases to the system.

Pendants don't have to be hung vertically below the track - you can do a
loop of flex through a hook.

Theres also the forerunner of the track system, a central rose with
flexes coming out going to each light, with each light hanging on a
hook. Flexible and gives a spider effect.

US fittings wont be upto it, the problem is safety standards not
voltage. A slip of card just isnt considered adequate insulation from
mains voltage here. And there are various other safety problems with
their stuff.

NT