Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Atkinson Ian Atkinson is offline

Default cable rating in kitchen

Hi,

My kitchen is currently empty and I'm re-wiring it before I have a new
one fitted. I have added in a few bits of extra cabling (spurs for
cooker hood etc.) and replaced some sections with longer pieces in
order to allow me to move sockets about. I've been using 2.5mm^2
cabling as this is what was recommended in the shop, I believe this
this fairly standard.

All the sockets are on a ring and they are on a 32A MCB in the consumer
unit. However, I have noticed on the packet for the cable that it says
'maximum load 27A' (the cable is made by Pirelli and is from B+Q).

Does this mean that I need to change the MCB for one of 27A or less? Or
would that be the maximum load on a radial rather than a ring?

Thanks,

Ian.