Posted to alt.home.repair
glenn P glenn P is offline

Default Mold removal in basement - remove all the stains?

You've gone about it the right way by fixing the environment first, but
don't forget - the bleach doesn't "kill" the mould, it merely bleaches it
white/whiter. Better to use a borax based solution, or one of the EPA
approved formulas designed to actually kill the mould.

Whether it's "toxic" mould, or not there's some good tips he

http://www.occupationalhazards.com/a...12780?id=12780

"Bas Pluim" wrote in message
m...
My basement has some mold growing on the walls. It's not too bad, only in
one area where the water pump sits. I don't think there is any water
coming in from the outside (there is another utility area on the other
side of this wall, which is mold free). I improved the ventilation, took
care of some condensation problems (the most likely culprit), and added a
dehumidifier, so I'm read to tackle what will hopefully the last of the
mold.

There are plenty of posts (and answers!) on mold removal, but not on what
constitutes "clean".

I've scrubbed the walls down with Chlorox and a striff bristle brush. Gone
over it several times. The walls are cement block, painted white. The
paint has held up well, no flaking. The appearance of the blocks has
improved, but there are still a brownish/ blackish stains on the blocks,
especially in and around the mortar lines. Do I need to keep scrubbing it
until it's ALL gone, or is that overkill? Would a wire brush help?

Thanks!