Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] mmcgo21680@charter.net is offline

Default Another Sears Radial Arm Saw Motor Problem

Using your cap test with the VOM set at 2000k, i get a digital spike of
about 1000 but it never returned to infinity or for that matter started
to approach infinity. One other curious thing I failed to mention, the
saw will trip the breaker even without the power switch on....

Thnanks for the reply....
Nova wrote:
wrote:
When attempting to power on the Sears RAS (circa 1977) set for 110V, it
instantly throws the 20 amp dedicated breaker with no rotation or hum
at all. The saw was working fine moments before the failure. I was
just doing a couple of crosscuts (i.e.no extended hard cuts). Based
on previous posts, here's what I've done so far:

(snip)

5) Did a basic VOM test on the starting capacitor (seems to check out)

What does "seems to check out" mean? What readings did you get?

With the capacitor disconnected and with the meter set to the highest
OHMS setting you should see a small kick of the needle and the reading
should then go to infinity as the capacitor charges. If you get a
resistance reading other than infinity once the capacitor is charged the
capacitor is shorted.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA