Keith Marshall

Default century 125gs welder

You're welcome. I'm always glad to help out when I can since I've learned
so much from others on this newsgroup!

One other thing I should have pointed out is that the regulator included
with the Century, assuming they include the same one with all of them, is
that it is a fixed flow regulator preset at 20 CFH. That's usually fine but
if you need to weld in any kind of a breeze it's not enough flow so you may
eventually look for a good deal on a better regulator. I bought one from
Harbor Freight for $40. Later on I picked another one up at an auction for
$10 or so.

If you're going to do sheetmetal pick up some .024 (.6mm I think) wire. It
works much better for thin stuff. I believe mine originally came with .035
and it was too big for that.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"Bryan Goring" wrote in message
Thanks very much Keith. I am probably going to get the Century as it is

such a
good price. I am not likely to tackle any aluminum welding jobs any time

soon so
this is probably the size of unit for me. Incidently I was comparing to

the
weldpak 100 which is a nice looking machine but runs a couple of hundred

dollars
more (plus 150 for the gas kit). All the welding I did in the past was

with an
old ac stick machine that my grandfather gave me. It blows nice big holes

in any
light materials so most of my past jobs have been using big and clunky

angle
iron (i built a squat rack at one time).

At any rate, I am mainly into this as a hobby and very excited about doing

some
stuff in my garage.

Thanks again for taking the time to write down this information.
Bryan

Keith Marshall wrote:

I've owned the 125gs and I currently have a Lincoln SP-170T. I had no
complaints whatsoever with the Century. I would still have it if I

hadn't
gotten a great deal on the Lincoln at an auction.

Century was apparently bought out by Clore Automotive a couple of years

ago
and they shut down the old Century Web site so that may be why you can't
find much about them. You can find a few manuals on the Clore site at:

http://www.cloreautomotive.com/site_...calservice.asp

Search for "welder" in the Technical Document Search window.

Unfortunately
I can't find the 125gs in the list so they may have discontinued it.

Century welders are often rebadged with other brand names. Sears sells

few of theirs with their own color scheme, etc. I've also seen an ESAB

that
was obviously a rebadged Century, probably the 155gs.

One difference of note between the Century and other MIG's is that the
Century uses a gun with a gas valve built into the trigger instead of

using
a solenoid in the welder like most others.

If the Lincoln you're looking at is the 100Amp welder (MigPak 10,

WeldPak
100, etc.) it probably isn't worth the extra money for the Lincoln. The
Century uses a Tweco gun so parts are easy to find. They're both
transformer machines with a switch to select which voltage tap you're

using.
There are aluminum kits available for both although the Century kit will
probably be harder to find but you need to read prior threads from this
group before you try and weld aluminum with such a small unit. All but

the
thinnest of aluminum sheetmetal takes quite a bit more power than either

of
these machines will put out.

Go to google.com, click on the "Groups" tab and search for "MIG welding
aluminum" and spend a bit of time reading up on the subject before you

buy
something you regret.

OTOH, if the Lincoln is the SP-135T or SP-135+ (previously the SP-125
series) it's a bit more welder than the Century or the smaller Lincoln.

It
still probably won't be much good for aluminum but it is a more powerful
welder. The T version has voltage taps like the Century and cheaper
Lincoln. The + version has variable voltage and is more expensive than

the
T.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"Bryan Goring" wrote in message
Hi All,

Anyone one with experience owning and using a century 125gs, and would
like to advise a novice on its capabilities, it would be greatly
appreciated.

I have been tempted to buy a mig welder setup for some time, was

looking
at the lincoln weldpak (120v feed) with gas hookup. I prefer this

brand
because it is well recognized and has a web site, i can find little
information about the century online. But the lincoln with gas kit

will
cost me around ~CDN800 bucks. I have the chance to buy the century

unit
on clearance for CDN375 still in the box, never used.

I want to know whether it would be really worth to spend the extra

money
for the lincoln, in particular:

-any significant features on the lincoln lacking on the century unit
-century's capability to weld aluminum (the lincoln datasheet mentions
this capability, no mention on the century)

Also, it looks like the century has only 4 heat settings, and a fixed
gas regulator. Not sure if this means too much.

Any tips greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bryan