Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] mmcgo21680@charter.net is offline

Default Another Sears Radial Arm Saw Motor Problem

When attempting to power on the Sears RAS (circa 1977) set for 110V, it
instantly throws the 20 amp dedicated breaker with no rotation or hum
at all. The saw was working fine moments before the failure. I was
just doing a couple of crosscuts (i.e.no extended hard cuts). Based
on previous posts, here's what I've done so far:

1) tried the saw on another 20 amp dedicated breaker, same results (no
extension cords in use)
2) took off the case, cleaned all saw dust out with a compressor
3) "sniffed" for burnt windings (no smell at all)
4) inspected all internal and external wires for nicks, scraps,
pinches, etc, (wires look good)
5) Did a basic VOM test on the starting capacitor (seems to check out)
6) Reviewed the "breaking/starter" switch, points are a bit rough and
I do see an arc at this point during testing. Is this arcing a symptom
of bad windings, etc. or could the arcing itself be the source of thown
breaker????

Any help greatly appreciated,
Mikemcg
PS..First post...Hope I followed proper protocol