Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.components,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.repair
Jonathan Kirwan Jonathan Kirwan is offline

Default FA: 1lb PLUS OF VARIOUS NEW TRANSISTORS SOME JANSO MANY:-)

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 19:13:17 GMT, "Homer J Simpson"
wrote:

"Jonathan Kirwan" wrote in message
.. .

I once packed a box containing a monitor and keyboard to be shipped
ahead of me (I was flying) via UPS to a destination cross-country. I
had packed it using shaped foam that was at least 8 inches thick on
all sides and bottom and there was almost no possibility of inner
movement of either the monitor or keyboard. When I picked up the box
there was a nice hole with some 5" diameter dead-center on one of the
faces. On opening the box I found the keyboard had been demolished
but the monitor survived.

On closer look, it had the rough appearance of a sharp, conical
penetration. It was definitely NOT blunt damage. I then began to
imagine the idea that UPS keeps a steel cone mounted on their cement
factory floors, just for the occasional frustrated WHACK their
employees sometimes need to do to a box.

I really couldn't have anticipated this kind of penetration. It was
sharp, narrow, deep, and had enough of an impact to press through a
lot of foam and to then still break through the keyboard.

Fork lift tines?

Yes, that had crossed my mind. However, it was a conical penetration
that had a roughly circular external presentation. I suppose it is
possible that's what their tines looked like. But it didn't match
tines I've seen before.

Jon