Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV RayV is offline

Default Trying to build cheap

wrote:
I'm interested in making the "Classic Oak Plant Stand" from Woodsmith
#147, but looking over the materials it's going to cost me $50 just for
the legs.

Would I be foolish to glue up leg blanks from doubled-up 3/4" select
pine and stain it something respectible? Is the line down the leg
going to be very noticeable? Any advice on making this stand for less
money?

Mike

The line will be barely noticeable but the grain change will be
obvious. Rip a wide piece and fold it over so that either side of the
rip cut are adjacent. You may be able to hide the grain change or have
it look really interesting. The opposite side will have a screwy
pattern so turn that side in.

Good luck!