Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
The Visitor The Visitor is offline

Default Review: Delta 16" VS Lathe 46-756 (Long)

My Delta with the Baldor controller, came with a Baldor book about it
and it is fairly good. It lists all the error codes (blinky led pattern)
and such, and what each of those pots do. It actually told me to adjust
the de-acceleration time, and how to do it. It has a row of a whole
bunch of little pots, you just had to know which one. When it would trip
off for me it was usually turning small light stuff, at high rpm. I
havent turned anything big yet. Perhaps this new controller Delta is
using is actually better, or just better for the bottom line?

robo hippy wrote:
The reason they don't tell you how to adjust the timing on the braking
(at least according to Power Matic) is because they don't want any one
messing with it in places where more than one person uses it, like
schools, or work shops. I had problems with my PM tripping the
converter every time I had a large bowl on and turned the lathe off,
while in the high speed range. Switched to the slow speed range, and no
problem. Turning spindles: high speed range. Turning bowls: low speed
range. I could turn the smaller bowls in the higher speed range, but
don't need to turn above above 1500, and changing the belt isn't worth
the time spent.
robo hippy