Jim Kovar

Default If you were building the dream shop

In article , says...
I posted the question here recently, if anyone here had experienced
a catastrophic failure of pvc air lines, ever. Several responded
in the affirmative, and that's enough for me. Besides, all my
air lines are soldered copper anyway.

Jim

The only problem I've had with pvc air lines is when the temps were
around 0 or below. I tunked one with a long 2 X 4 entering the unheated
shop and it literally exploded a 6 inch chunk out of it. It came apart
in small shards about 1 or 2 inches long. The line was already regulated
down to 90 lbs, or it could have been worse. I had to pick a few shards
out of my face, two good sized ones and a small one. I'm lucky I wore
prescription glasses. This happened so fast there was no time to turn my
head or duck. I have no idea if this was a temperature thing or not. I
know whacking it with the board did'nt help matters. I tore it out and
soldered in half inch copper.

Jim Kovar
Vulcan, Mi