Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default phone line problems

In article ,
"Tim Fischer" wrote:

PS. Back before we had competition the telco (monopoly) took
responsibility for the whole works and was concerned about your service.

You also had to pay the telco to come out when you wanted to add an
extension (which also cost you an extra flat fee every month), or even move
the jack 3 feet to the left. It was illegal to touch the phone wiring in
your home.

I have 33+ years with the local ILEC (Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier) and,
only tonight, ran afoul of a new customer that ordered our service at his
brand new home. We install the SNI and, if the stub-out is present, will
connect the inside wire at that location. This usually activates all the
jacks in the home.

My poor customer's home was prewired with Cat5 4-pr but NO outlet plates
installed and no splicing/connecting done at the convergence of the homeruns
in the basement.

For no charge, I spent a few UNOFFICIAL minutes connecting two wires in the
basement thereby activating a dangling jack in the kitchen - until he has time
to lean on his builder or do it himself.

Everything's a trade-off...

Agreed. In the days of the monopoly, Western Electric's idea of a MAJOR, NEW
technological innovation: A new COLOR for the Trimlinetm!!

We are the beneficiaries of The Big Breakup that occurred on January 1, 1984.
We enjoy things that, under the old system, would probably have been MUCH
slower in coming. The most important thing to the consumer, as a result of
the breakup of the Bell System monopoly was the deregulation of the "inside
environment". What's in YOUR place belongs to YOU. If you want an extra
jack, and use bailing wire and zip cord to do it, so be it.

Dirty, Little Trade Secret: If you do NOT have an approved SNID (Standard
Network Interface Device) with a plug-and-jack affair, you should not have to
worry about charges for a technician visit. Trust me: There are probably
millions of services "out there" that are "grandfathered" and do NOT have a
SNID.

In many states, even if you HAVE a SNID, but decline the technician's offer to
COME IN and fix the trouble, you are not to be charged. (Not so in Nebraska,
moo-ha-ha! You gotum SNI, ROH and no coverage, ka-ching! $85.)

Don't put up with poor service. Become pro-active (the squeaky wheel). Be
your own advocate barf - Make 'em fix it.
--

JR