Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Gardner Tom Gardner is offline

Default Cutting shallow, wide slot in hardwood

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Tom Gardner (in ) said:

| I need the best, cheapest way to cut a 1-1/2" wide by 3/64" deep
| slot across a KD Beech block that is 2-1/4" wide. I need to do at
| least 2,000/day. I already do this but I won't say how as not to
| influence you. We are trying to come up with a better, faster
| cheaper way.

Lots of ways to skin this cat. A 1-1/2"x3/64" +/-0.002" is easy and
14.4 sec/block (28,800 sec per 8-hour shift divided by 2000 blocks) is
actually pretty slow.

The limiting factors appear to be [1] ability to cool the cutting tool
and [2] material handling ability.

[1] isn't a big problem; but the method used will depend on [3] below.
[2] is a larger issue - material handling might be much simplified and
labor content minimized if the tooling solution inputs boards, and
outputs slotted blocks.

The big questions a

[3] How many of these blocks would you really like to produce in an
8-hour shift/day? I think that 25,000 blocks/workcenter/shift isn't an
unreasonable target.

[4] What is the value of production volume (IOW, how much does it make
sense to spend to achieve your production target)? "As cheap as
possible" is not an answer to this question.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I do it now with a 3 hp router swinging a 1.5" bit. The block fits in a
sliding jig on linear bearings. The operator slides the jig across the bit
and the block drops in a barrel. It takes about 4-5 seconds. Not too bad,
but I'm worried about repetitive motion injuries and the routers only last 4
months.

My production requirements are only 800 per day but I can only dedicate so
many man-hours so I need 300 per hour. Cycle time has to include material
handling and pee breaks.

My biggest concern is the possibility of repetitive motion injury so, I'd
rather spend the money to automate rather than taking the chance of somebody
getting hurt.