Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob S. Bob S. is offline

Default New 16 In. electric saw/OIL?

marson wrote:
edb wrote:
I just purchased a Craftsman 16 In. electric chain saw.
Question: It does not say what kind of oil to put in for lubricating the
chain?????
It did not come with a sample of oil.
Can I use regular motor oil??

not really. get chainsaw bar oil. i've used motor oil in a pinch and
as i remember it is too thin to really lubricate the chain well.
chainsaw bar oil has a lot of wax in it to make it sticky.

Not always. I bought a 10" electric "chainsaw on a stick" for cutting
limbs. Regular chainsaw oil wouldn't go thru the oiler so I resorted
to reading the book. It said to use 30W automotive oil. I did and it
did.

Bob S.