Posted to alt.home.repair

Default which lawnmower?

"dkhedmo" wrote in message
nk.net...
The lawn needs to be mowed, so I guess we'd better go buy a mower.

Yard is pretty good size, .38 acre. We're leave-it-on-the-lawn people, so
I guess we want a side discharge mulching situation, instead of a rear
bagger. Or I guess the option of switching? Some mowers seem to have an
easy tool-less change-over, and some not? What's involved with changing it
manually?

I've got a Honda with 3 options: Bag, mulch or side discharge. Changing it
is easy and you'll get more specifics when you read your instructions, or
when you get a demo.

Forget the chain stores. Open your yellow pages and find a store that
specializes in these things. You ***MIGHT*** pay more, but two years from
now, you'll feel smarter. You'll be able to get actual service, and the
faces you saw when you bought the mower will probably still be there.

Here's another reason to buy from a specialty shop: You said the grass is
going to be long and thick. AND...is the ground smooth, or is it bumpy like
many yards? If you're pressed for time, you might think you can mow faster.
Think again. With those two obstacles (long grass, bumpy ground), you need
to mow slower unless you have the right mower. Try asking people at the
chain stores which mower will handle these things best and you'll probably
end up with drool on your shoes.

You're probably going to spend more than $299.00.