Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

Default which lawnmower?

dkhedmo writes:

The lawn needs to be mowed, so I guess we'd better go buy a mower.

Yard is pretty good size, .38 acre. We're leave-it-on-the-lawn people,
so I guess we want a side discharge mulching situation, instead of a
rear bagger.

Not necessarily. You can have both now. :-) There are mulchers now
that rear-bag as well by way of a rear full width door.

Or I guess the option of switching? Some mowers seem to
have an easy tool-less change-over, and some not? What's involved with
changing it manually?

with the craftsman mower I have, it's very simple. Pull up the back
door, put the bag on. Mulch: Pull bag off, spring loaded rear door
slams shut, voila.

Engines - I see people here talking about Briggs and Stratton a
lot. Does that mean they're good or bad? Seems like everyone's asking
how to fix theirs, and we are not mechanically inclined in that way.

Briggs are more forgiving with non-by-the-book maintenance.

Here's what I'm looking at - Home Despot has a Toro #20016 for
$299. Large rear wheel self-propelled, etc. 6.5hp and 22in.

#21 of 27 rated mowers by consumer reports.

But, Toro Recycler 20041 is a CR Best Buy, #6 rated among self
propelled, at $400. And Toro 20055 Super Recycler however was the #2
mower at $520.

I've got a $150 giftcard for HD, so this leans me in this direction,
but I'm sure I could come up with $150 of something else. They also
have the Honda mowers up on the site, but no prices. What are they
going for, and do I want one?

Hondas are well reviewed but expensive. #1 rates Honda HRX217HXA is
$700.

Lowes has a Troy-Bilt #183621 for $299. 6.75hp and 21". It's got the
B&S 2 start ready start engine.

Sears has a few Craftsman mowers in that hp/in range, running
$173-249, all with B&S engines, I believe. They also have a Husqvarna
for $269. I thought they made sewing machines???

I have a Craftsman mower with the large rear wheels, briggs engine,
and it's been good to me, despite apparently lousy reviews by CR.
It's a push mower though, not self propelled, but everything's flat
here.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/