jim rozen

Default Starrett's MACHINIST TOOL BOX

In article , fichensie says...

Is there a source for information covering the restoration of
Starrett's MACHINIST TOOL BOX?

As others have commented, this was probably not manufactured
by starrett, but by anothe company, for them.

The reason for asking is that I have recently purchased one and have
discovered one of its felts is loose and appears to have shrunk.

I re-did an old oak Scherr toolbox by replacing all the felts
at once. Others have strongly suggested to avoid white glue
as some of the ingredients might promote rust in the tools.
They suggest contact cement IIRC. I re-did mine before the
thread happened, and used elmer's white glue.
The box has been in use for years now, and does not seem
to rust tools noticeably, though.

It needs a key; are there any sources for one?

Your best bet is taking the lock mechanism to a good locksmith,
he may be able to make one for you.

Jim

please reply to: