Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Extension

In article , Gavin
writes
John wrote:
We have a single storey extension about 7m x 4m and were wondering about
making it two storey.

How would we find out if the foundations were adequate?

If not what options are there?

What are the "order of magnitude" costs for either putting on a second
level and extending the pitched roof, or rebuilding from ground upwards?

Any thoughts welcome!

Just undertook the exact same task, for the same reason too! I phoned
the local BCO who were extremely helpful. They identified the original
plans were now on the microfiche archive. They found them, and found the
then inspectors note, who had stated the foundations were 1.2m deep :-)
With that information I was then informed by the BCO that any plans
I submit should reference the original extension plans, and reference
the inspector's note. They will then be accepted as OK. Total cost of
this, £0.00. I must admit the council guy I spoke with was really helpful.

That saved a load of £££'s in knock-down and rebuilding, or underpinning
costs.

IHTH

Gavin

Thanks to everyone for all the thoughts, experience, etc. At the moment
it is only an idea, but before we start trial holes it is good to know
what we might be looking at in the end.

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail