Farmer Bill Farmer Bill is offline
Junior Member

Thanks, I will try the lighter fluid first, then Brasso.

Follow-up question:
In the middle of the head there's a kind of cross-hatching, which I guess is where the head reads the tape. Do I need to be particularly careful when cleaning this part of the head? In contrast, the sides of the head are shiny and smooth (if they were clean), and seem less susceptible to damage from cleaning. I'm still not clear on why the tape plays fine in one direction, and sounds muted in the other direction. Are there actually 2 areas on the tape head, one for each direction? If so I guess they would be positioned one on top of the other.

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my original question. What a great forum, and great group of people, to share their expertise.

Bill

--
Farmer Bill[/i][/color]

I transfer reel to reel tapes to CDR as a hobby, and side line.
If you think cassettes shed oxide, imagine a 30 year old reel to reel tape
stored ina garage, being played for the first time in 20 years. Even after
a mild baking, they shed!
I use naptha (lighter fluid) (very sparingly!) on a q-tip.
You want just enough to wet the crud, not enough to run where you dont want
it. Let it sit for a bit, and then with a clean swab, also lightly
moistened in lighter fluid, start scrubbing it off. Several applications
may be needed.
I would avoid anything plastic, metal, or generally harder than your
fingernail. I've also used a #2 pencil eraser to encourage the crud to be
gone.
After you get it off, then use alcohol to rinse the head, and remove the
slightly oily film lighter fluid will leave.
HTH!

Peace
Deke[/quote]