Posted to rec.woodworking
boorite boorite is offline

Default "We don't have that part" --- Emergency Adaptive Engineering

bremen68 wrote:
Had to share... My middle son (5 yo) has a few medical problems and had
to go in for a "minor" operation... Allow me to say, that there is no
such thing as a "minor" sugery when it's your kid they're cutting on.
Surgery was on his heel

WHAT? Why, when I was that boy's age, our parents just gave us
jackknives and told us to cut our own damn selves! We didn't get
through the Nixon gas crunch by throwing money at such niceties as
"surgery" and "medicine," I can tell you that! Kids today! Spoiled!

But seriously, I wonder if maybe the high price of adaptive aids has
something to do with the mind-numbing liability involved in selling
such products to the public, not only because such devices are
inherently safety-critical, but because that public contains persons
who will take a big wobbly cup of hot coffee and put it between their
legs while driving and then blame someone else when they parboil their
genitals. If a person can dramatically narrow his reproductive options
using only a cup of ordinary coffee, imagine what he can do with a pair
of crutches and a flight of stairs, or, God help us, an electric
wheelchair and a revolving door. I imagine that being in that business
is an unending legal nightmare.