Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Board Buddies

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:35:13 -0700, "Teamcasa" wrote:

The moving truck gets here on Oct. 12th...
Assuming that the truck, my tools and wood and the household stuff clears
customs, we'll start moving in on about the 15th...

Oddly enough, the biggest problem that the mover sees so far is my wood!
I supplied him with pictures so he'd have a chance to talk to the border
folks,
but 40 or 50 short logs are not your usual "household personal property"
and
they might be taxed or confiscated..

Not sure if it's a pest control problem or that they think I'm smuggling
firewood.. going to be a bitch finding stuff to turn bowls from if they
confiscate it!
Mac

Mac, Are you using a customs broker and have you started your pedimento
documents? I believe, as a new resident of Mexico, you can bring all of
your property without having to pay an importation tax. I maybe (and am
frequently) wrong but I do know you will need a customs agent.

Dave

We're having San Felipe Storage move us, Dave...
They have a package for $5,000 that includes 2 guys with a semi and 50'
container, a US customs broker and a Mexican customs broker...

We waited to get our FM3 visas (not sure what pedimento is) until the builder
said that the house was less than 2 months from completion... the time frame for
the "duty free window" keeps changing...
It was 90 days, then 60 days and just got changed to 6 months... who know when
that will change...
You have a one time exemption to bring your USED household stuff in without
duty... you have to have your visa, proof of residence in Mx and US, passports,
etc, and "the list"..
After you're completed all the requirements for the FM3, you have to submit your
list to the Mx consulate in the US... listing everything that you're bringing,
in English and Spanish, with the boxes numbered and labeled...
All of my tools have to be listed, with model, serial number, etc....

Once the list is approved by the consulate, you move your stuff to the border
and see if it's easy of hard... if it's hard, they can make it VERY hard, which
is a big reason that we're not moving it ourselves...
Our neighbor just took a fairly small load down and was at the border for over 8
hours before they let him through....
He might have just hit on a bad day or something, but they went through all of
his stuff and even made him leave his hand truck because it wasn't on the
list... He told them that it was to unload with and went back to the US with the
trailer, but they wouldn't let it in!
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis