Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel Doctor Drivel is offline

Default solar panels

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message

I think maybe you're on thin ice with aesthetics. When something is
obviously beneficial to society, we tend to accept it visually. Telegraph
poles, electricity pylons etc.

I agree. Most of the technology we see around us is not aesthetically
pleasing, there are very few beautiful cars, commercial vans and lorries
and the like are ugly. Even most houses aren't pretty. Nor are the people
who live in them ... Attempts to make washing machines beautiful by having
rounded corners doesn't really cut the mustard. One wouldn't put up a
mobile phone mast just to adorn one's plot.

All those things are in full view of people almost all the time. Solar
water heating panels are usually on the roof, they are more of less part
of the roof. They look like Velux windows - if you bother to look upwards
and most people don't. If you do look upwards you'll see some of the
ugliest creations of Man - civil aircraft.

At worst SWH panels are aesthetically neutral, at best novel.

PV panels, on the other hand, are astonishingly beautiful in my opinion,
like CDs. IMO.

Mary

This woman has style.