Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default solar panels

On 2006-09-28 20:55:51 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

Every hotel and holiday home in southern Europe isn't a bad start

Perhaps people have more taste though....

Part of the landscape in Greece. I doubt people will stop going there
because every little bungalow has a shiny tank on the roof. "Taste"
seems a rather quaint concept in the big scheme of things.

It is, however, a major reason for buying or not buying something.
People do buy (or not) on impression and appearance.

If one takes an economically marginal at best proposition and it is
then also visually an eyesore, it is not a winning combination.

I am reminded of the dreadful solar hot water heating systems which
adorn many rooftops in Tel Aviv.
These consist of a metal canister to store some water plus a collection
of tubes and pipes connected to a solar panel on an angled stand on the
flat roof. They are absolutely hideous. Fortunately there it
doesn't matter quite so much because it is customary not to complete
construction but to leave steel reinforcing rods sticking out. I
believe there is a tax dodge for doing this.
There of course there is no question of lack of sun either.

Howver, try to transport the concept to a country where people do care
more about aesthetics and where solar energy is substantially less and
it is not going to sell. Fortunately.