Jim Wilson

Default If you were building the dream shop

Tbone wrote...

Well I've used it 3/4" and 8 outlets for 15yrs in my shop and no
problems.

Suppose someone said, "I've stored a five-gallon can of gasoline next to
my gas water heater for 15 years and never had a problem." Would you be
convinced it was a safe practice?

Sch 40 has a burst rating of 200psi.

Did you know that a liquid at 120psi compresses very little? The volume
at 120psi is very close to the volume at zero psi. That's why hydraulic
systems work the way they do. A gas, like air, at 120 psi is compressed
into a far smaller volume. When a breach occurs, whatever is inside the
pipe will quickly expand to its zero psi volume. A liquid won't move
much, but a gas will, propelling anything loose and light, like PVC
shards, along with it. That's why PVC isn't rated for compressed gasses.

You do need a flex fitting at the compressor connection.

PVC weakens with time on exposure to UV radiation, also. Some good
sources for UV radiation are sunlight and fluorescent lighting. To make
it "safe" for compressed air, it would also need to be isolated from
shock and impact, and shrouded in something to prevent the shards from
going where they could do any damage to people or other things. It's
simply cheaper to use metal pipe than to make PVC safe.

Stick with OSHA and their BS and you can't deal with the real world.

I can sympathize with your disdain for OSHA bureaucracy, but it doesn't
make sense to extend that disdain to the good science that some of their
recommendations are based on.

Jim