Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default removing candle wax from CD (recorded side!)

David Nebenzahl wrote:
boardjunkie spake thus:

doorrag wrote:

I know I shouldn't have left it where it could happen, but I did. Can
anyone help?

Take off the bulk with a soft cloth and something flat but not sharp.
Then rub off the rest using a clean part of the cloth.

Remembering, of course, to rub only in a radial direction (that is, in a
line between the center of the disc and the edge) and not
concentrically, for that, as we all know, is how CD read errors are
generated.

The OP didn't state just on which side of the disk the wax melted. It
makes a difference. If the label side, one must be VERY careful with
any kinds of solvents/scratches. The shiny side is a little more
forgiving, as it has thicker protection...although optical clarity is of
course imperative.

jak